Re: New candidates for inclusion in Extras : udftools and starfighter-music

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

I.e. even if you did not explicitly put a "Copyright (c)" notice on such a piece of work it will be copyrighted by you. In Germany, all you only can do is to give away "licenses to the public", and "express your will not to enforce unauthorized copying/modifications", but you can not give up any copyright.

You are correct, except I think it was the Berne Convention (along with the past 2 or 3 copyright acts in the USA) that made registration of copyrights in America optional. If you write anything in America, it is automatically protected by copyright even if you don't explicitly include a copyright notice. But it does help to have one, and register the copyright to be able to prove ownership and possibly enforce it.

Anyhow, my only point is that it is supposed to be a global standard of minimally 50 years without necessary notice or registration. That isn't limited to just Germany.

http://www.free-culture.cc/
(I read about this in Lawrence Lessig's book here. Highly recommend reading this book, although it isn't about Open Source, it is about similar ethical ideals of how "Big Media Uses Technology and the Law to Lock Down Culture and Control Creativity".)

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com