New candidates for inclusion in Extras : udftools and starfighter-music

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 06:02:28 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> I.e. even if you did not explicitly put a "Copyright (c)" notice on such
> a piece of work it will be copyrighted by you. In Germany, all you only
> can do is to give away "licenses to the public", and "express your will
> not to enforce unauthorized copying/modifications", but you can not give
> up any copyright.

You are correct, except I think it was the Berne Convention (along with
the past 2 or 3 copyright acts in the USA) that made registration of
copyrights in America optional.  If you write anything in America, it is
automatically protected by copyright even if you don't explicitly
include a copyright notice.  But it does help to have one, and register
the copyright to be able to prove ownership and possibly enforce it.

Anyhow, my only point is that it is supposed to be a global standard of
minimally 50 years without necessary notice or registration.  That isn't
limited to just Germany.

http://www.free-culture.cc/
(I read about this in Lawrence Lessig's book here.  Highly recommend
reading this book, although it isn't about Open Source, it is about
similar ethical ideals of how "Big Media Uses Technology and the Law to
Lock Down Culture and Control Creativity".)

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com