DKMS into Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Feb 20 13:05:30 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag, den 17.02.2005, 22:59 -0500 schrieb Warren Togami:
> Opinions here?  Is this something that we want in Extras?  (Is this sane
> and unlikely to cause trouble?)

I'm against including it. At least from a short look into the
presentation and in the rpm. My main concerns:

It can autorecomile modules and puts them into the proper kernel-modules
dir. This seems wrong very for me. Those files may overwrite existing
modules (okay, in fact it copies them away and installs the new one).
And the resulting modules are not in the rpmdb afaics. So if you remove
the kernel later the directory /lib/modules/$(uname -r) can't be deleted
by rpm. That a great problem IMHO cause the /lib/modules/ dir will soon
get messy.

Also I don't think fedora has a real benefit from DKMS. We could start
using it for our kernel-module-rpms but I don't think adding another
layer makes sense. IMHO we should create something similar to DKMS that
is based on our existing src.rpms. That shouldn't be to hard AFGAICS. I
think of a init script that tries to recompile kernel-module-*.src.rpms
and/or autoinstall kenrel-module-*.rpms for a newly installed kernel
automatically. I have something like that in my mind but did not started
with it yet because I wanted to wait for the kernel-devel-* packages in
FC4 / FC3 extras...