DKMS into Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Feb 21 17:09:19 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 21.02.2005, 10:29 -0600 schrieb Tom 'spot' Callaway:
> On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 07:07 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> >A (small?) init-script could do this. This could also try first to
> >download the module from the web if it available -- this way you also
> >don't need to have special kernel-module-* magic in yum.
> >
> >I'll sit down the next days and code something up to show you. AFAICS it
> >should not be to hard (but maybe I'm wrong)...
>
> This is one of the problems that we need to solve, so I'm very
> interested in seeing your approach.
>
> However, I think it is important that whatever solution we adopt "just
> works" with yum,

That should be possible.

>  and without requiring the user to have a development
> toolchain installed.

? I don't understand you here. What do you mean by toolchain -- GCC,
make, kernel-devel are needed of course -- but they are also needed by
DKMS afaics.

But the solution I dream of is a two way solution -- make the kernel-
module build automatically if everything needed to do it is installed.
If not use the old kernel until all kernel-modules are ready and/or
download them with yum (what about apt?) automatically if available.