DKMS into Fedora Extras

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 17:56:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 18:38 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

>Of course we can rebuild kernel-modules in extras an push then the same
>time when a new kernel goes out. Then we only have to solve the
>install/yum/apt problem.

Yes. This is more in line with my thoughts. We should able to teach the
Extras buildsystem (no, not Seth) to watch updates for new kernels, and
rebuild packages marked as kernel-modules to match. New packages marked
as kernel-modules get built for all available kernels.

This requires some things (off the top of my head):
- buildsystem awareness of the kernel packages in Fedora Core (and
updates), but it shouldn't be terribly difficult, will just require
network connectivity, kept in a table so that new "kernel-module"
packages can be built for all available kernels.
- a mechanism for marking a package as a "kernel-module" package
- kernel-module packages will need to identify the kernel package they
were built for, so that yum/apt can resolve dependencies.
- yum/apt will need to handle kernel-module packages in the same way it
handles kernel packages (allow multiple packages to be installed, rpm -i
instead of rpm -U, remove matching kernel-module packages when kernel is
removed)

The biggest downside to this is that it means that we have a LOT of
"kernel-module" packages in FE (one per kernel per package), but I think
the end-user transparency is worth it.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora Linux Project Leader

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
-- Sir Winston Churchill