DKMS into Fedora Extras

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Feb 21 18:47:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 19:37 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> This is already done if a package has a "Provides: kernel-module" (or
> was it  "Provides: kernel-modules"?)

It's "kernel-module" in fedora.us, and the Extras (and fedora.us) apt
has been tweaked to DTRT + magic with that.

Elsewhere (I don't remember where), it's "kernel-modules", and yum has
that built-in/hardcoded in its list of packages to install, not upgrade.

@Seth, others who have experience with yum and these "kernel-modules"
packages:

Let's say we have kernel-V-R installed, and kernel-module-foo built for
that installed.  Now, we get an update for the module package only; the
kernel does not change.  Obviously, the already installed module package
and the new one conflict.  What happens when one does "yum update"?