netmon_applet

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Wed Feb 23 16:56:34 UTC 2005

<quote who="Tom 'spot' Callaway">
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 16:29 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
>
>>RPMS etc:
>>
>>http://www.demonseed.net/~jp/code/netmon_applet/rpm/
>
> I'm just now writing the naming standards for rpm, and there are already
> two "do not do XXX" items in your package. (Not your fault, I can't
> write these standards fast enough to keep up with new packages)

This was my first ever RPM ;-)

OK. Do you have a draft anywhere, as I keep having to refer to the old
fedora.us guides.

> - Don't use underscores in the rpm name. Use - as a delimiter.
> - If it relies on another application to function (in this case, an
> applet for gnome that requires the gnome panel), it should be named
> according to the "%{parent}-%{child} syntax.
>
> So, based on that, I would suggest that it be renamed to:
>
> gnome-applet-netmon

Fine. Do I need to get the authors permission to change his prpgrams name?

As this indicates that it was authored by the gnome team, no?

> Also, when you rename it, you'll want to add:
>
> Provides: netmon_applet
> Obsoletes: netmon_applet
>
> That way, users of the old package will have a clean upgrade path.

So this tells RPM that it IS still really netmon_applet, but will be
called gnome-applet-netmon.

> Looking into the package, you don't need to be packaging ABOUT-NLS,
> COPYING, or INSTALL, since they're all the generic docs. (Also, I'm not
> sure why ABOUT-NLS is in there, since the applet doesn't seem to be
> translated).

I first added those so RPM didn't complain about left over files.

> Take the 0.fdr out of the version tag, not necessary for Fedora Extras.

So it would just be called gnome-applet-netmon? What do I do with the
Release tag?

> Besides all that, it looks good to me.

Where do I create a new bugzilla entry for this, as it is actaully still
in  the fedora.us bugzilla?