Package proposal: vnstat

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Thu Feb 24 12:58:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:55:41PM +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > vnstat: A console-based network traffic monitor
> >
> > http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/vnstat-1.4-1.src.rpm
> >
> > http://humdi.net/vnstat/
>
> Looks good to me, just a few minor comments :
>
> - Would you mind dropping the "# -------- ..." lines from the spec?

No problem and already dropped.

> - Do you prefer having the version hardcoded in the source line?

Yes.

> - I'd remove the leading "A" from the summary "A console-based...".

Removed a A

> - I'd remove the "In short," from the description.

Removed a "In short,"

> - It's not technically a daemon, so "System Environment/Daemons"
>   doesn't seem the most appropriate group.

Of course you are correct, but where to put is else :-) I could put in
the "Applications/Internet" group but I think that it would be better in
one of the "System Environment" groups. As it is neither Base, Kernel,
Libraries nor Shells I thought the best would be the Daemons group. But
if you have a better idea... Just say it.

> Also, maybe have the cron entry use a sysconfig file with a list of
> interfaces to watch (defaulting to only eth0) would be a good idea?

Haven't really thought about this but to make it configurable I marked the
cron entry file %config(noreplace).
Can I read a config file from sysconfig easily in a cron script like I
can read it in a startup script or would it require to call a script
from the crontab which reads the config and starts vnstat?

		Adrian