Re: specfile questions

Chuck R. Anderson wrote:

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 09:26:22AM -0600, Quentin Spencer wrote:

I'm preparing a package for octave-forge, which I asked about a couple of days ago, and I have a question about spec files. Octave-forge is closely tied to the version of octave that is installed on the system, so the Requires: part of the spec file should list a specific version. It would be nice to have a single SRPM that could build on multiple versions of Fedora, which may have different versions of octave installed. Is there a way to do "Requires: octave = <whatever is installed right now>"?

How is the package tied to the specific installed version? Through dynamically linked libraries? If so, don't put any Requires: at all, just let rpm find the requirements automatically.

It installs in a directory tree that contains octave's version in the name, and it contains some binary loadable modules for octave, and the ABI can change from one version to another.