vice in extras

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 16:53:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 17:50 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 09:30 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>
>> I love vintage computing and emulation too, but unlike Debian, Red Hat
>> CAN get sued.
>How that?
>
>Copyright holders also could sue the packager of the deb/rpm, the
>packager of the tarballs, the sites hosting the ROMs etc. There's no
>guarantee for not getting sued.

Point. What I should have said is "Red Hat is much much more likely to
get sued, since we are a corporate entity, and Debian is not".

 Besides this, if emulators dynamically load rom images (IIRC, bochs and
>stonX do), one could ship these emulators without ROM images, because
>they do not contain the code being in question.

Yes, but they are tools designed solely to run "illegal" ROMs. They
serve no purpose otherwise. Thus, contributory infringement. We'd be
providing the tools to make the "illegal" ROMS go.

And that's assuming that the emus don't violate copyright or trademarks
themselves (or god forbid, patents).

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!