Bundling up alternative packages

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat Jan 8 08:19:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:32:26 -0700, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:

> I am working on bundling up a lot of software (SNORT, ACID, BASE,
> tcptrack, rt/rtir, etc). We are using an alternative version of
> libpcap worked on by Phil Wood (cpw at lanl.gov) who puts in better
> statistics and uses an MMAP for better capturing. I was wondering what
> the best way of packaging up an alternative libpcap would be for
> extras or if it would be wanted?
>
> Also is someone else doing this that I might be stepping on their toes?

Since libpcap is a package in Fedora Core, an "alternative version"
would be a replacement for the Core package and hence does not fit
into the definition of Fedora Extras. It would fit into the definition
of Fedora Alternatives [1] or any similar sub-project which may be
opened in the future.

--
[1] http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/terminology.html