Bundling up alternative packages

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 00:32:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:55:52 -1000, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> >>
> >>Since libpcap is a package in Fedora Core, an "alternative version"
> >>would be a replacement for the Core package and hence does not fit
> >>into the definition of Fedora Extras. It would fit into the definition
> >>of Fedora Alternatives [1] or any similar sub-project which may be
> >>opened in the future.
> > Ok thanks for the info. From that I should make the SNORT and other
> > tools compiled against the normal pcap if they should be in extras.
> Would that be a static link?  Just checking, because multiple packages
> typically need to be updated every time there is a libpcap security
> issue. =(

The Phil Woods pcap is supposed to be a dropin replacement and we have
been doing it here for some time without known issues. My current
thinking of bundling it would be to compile SNORT, etc with regular
libpcap, and confirm afterwords that Phils does not need special
stuff. I also would hopefully compile those apps with standard links
versus static compiles. That way we do not have to worry too much
about the update from hell.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator