New Packages for Extras

Bart Vanbrabant bart.vanbrabant at zoeloelip.be
Fri Jan 14 13:30:53 UTC 2005

Matthias Saou wrote:

>Warren Togami wrote :
>
>[... php-eaccelerator package ...]
>

>>Sounds OK, but perhaps we should have the other guy become involved with
>>maintenance of that package in Extras?  Maybe work with him in future
>>maintenance?
>>

>"The other guy"? If you're talking about the person who reported the change
>and asked to get php-eaccelerator packaged, well, he also contacted me in
>private asking if I'd consider packaging it on freshrpms.net too. His spec
>file is based on my php-mmcache one, with very recent SuSE-compatibility
>defacing he accepted from someone else, that we most certainly don't want.
>I think he became the "rpm packager" for their project "by default" more
>than anything else (not that I mean anything negative by that, and it's
>just my impression).

I'm that guy. I would be nice to see eAccelerator included in fedora
extras. I builded those packages for me to test eAccelerator, I
contributed them to the project and I'm the person who helps them with
building packages and things like that. I don't have much experience in
these things. I would like to help out with this package if it's
neccesary but it's not that I would like to maintain this. Matthias has
done this before for mmcache and the project hasn't changed much.
The next release would be round the 10th of february.

>>I am a bit concerned about the burden of the large number
>>of packages under your sole maintainership. =)
>>

>...but that's not counting all of those packages that I'd like to reclaim
>maintainership of! ;-)
>

>>Would php-mmcache be Obsoleted and removed then?
>>

>Why not. But there is no reason to kick it out immediately, but surely in
>the not-so-distant future since mmcache isn't PHP5 compatible, whereas
>eaccelerator is.

Mandrake has removed mmcache from cooker and eaccelerator will be in 10.2 .

Thanks for including it,

Bart

--
Bart Vanbrabant <bart.vanbrabant at zoeloelip.be>
PGP fingerprint: 093C BB84 17F6 3AA6 6D5E  FC4F 84E1 FED1 E426 64D1