Request for Review: opendap

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 00:15:08 UTC 2005

In a stunning blast from the past, I present... opendap!

This originally had a review request in April, but its fixed up, and
back for another try.

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 20:35 -0400, Ed Hill wrote:

> I realize that its been months since you put time and effort into the
> opendap package, but I finally found some free time today to take a hard
> look at it.  And found a litany of problems including:
>
>  - opendap-devel pollutes /usr/include with dozens of header
>      files many of which have very generic names

The new package uses /usr/include/opendap

>  - some the binaries (eg. Ncview) that it installs immediately
>      seg-fault when run -- they're totally useless

The broken client binaries are totally useless, so I removed them
altogether.

>  - it conflicts with a different ncview package that I'd
>      like to separately submit to extras which actually
>      *does* work

The new package doesn't conflict with Ed's other ncview package.

>  - the opendap-config binary reports nonsense such as:
>
>      [edhill at ernie i386]# /usr/bin/opendap-config --cflags
>      -I/home/edhill/rpmbuild/BUILD/opendap-3.4.4/DODS/include
>
>      which shows that its grabbing paths from the build
>      location and not the install location  :-(

opendap-config no longer reports nonsense. Its a little verbose, but its
all correct now (pathing is right).

opendap now comes with shared libraries, instead of only static.

While I'm sure there are other issues, all the blockers should be gone.
Other issues can be filed in bugzilla.

I considered packaging libdap instead (I even have a working spec for
it), but I opted against that for the time being, because most
applications still need opendap libraries (libdap doesn't provide
libnc-dods) and libdap is still in beta.

SRPM:
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/opendap-3.4.4-4.src.rpm
SPEC: http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/opendap.spec

Please review, so I can get this monkey off my back. :)

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!