New package: icmpdn

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 6 13:30:06 UTC 2005

On Mar 28 juin 2005 16:22, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
=
>> * Strange characters show up in %description: – (after icmpdnd,
>> idnlookup, libnss_icmp.so.2) in firefox; In vim: â~@~S
>
> Hm. It seems that Oron Peled copied my homepage directly into the README
> and specfile when he created them, so those are probably en-dashes in
> UTF-8. I never noticed, since all my systems handle UTF-8 correctly.
>
> I might as well fix it (dashes and en-dashes look the same in terminal
> fonts anyway), but is there anything wrong with using UTF-8 in
> specfiles?

As long as it's valid UTF-8 just do everyone a favour and keep the UTF-8
characters. RHL/FC has decided long ago to force UTF-8 adoption because
waiting for everyone not affected by ASCII problems to make the jump was
irrealistic.

And yes it will break some utilities. We want them to break so they are
fixed someday. And you do need full UTF-8 in specs at least for people
names, because it's plain rude to force humans to mangle their names just
to accomodate the laziness of people who happen not to use more than 128
characters in their everyday life.

--
Nicolas Mailhot