Request for review: keychain

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jul 13 15:08:34 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 12.07.2005 schrieb Chip Turner um 5:54:
>

>>It would be nicer to have some sort of opt-in, perhaps in the form of
>>~/.keychainrc, which, if present, causes it to be source'd and then,
>>if set, use an environment variable KEYS to list the keys the user
>>wants, otherwise default to id_dsa.  This way a user just specifies
>>their keys that feed the command line (and perhaps other command line
>>options such as timeout).
>>
>>Chip
>

> I think it makes sense regarding ease of use, to have a mechanism which
> allows the user to opt-in keychaining easily. Thanks for that suggestion
> Chip, Ed and Ville.
>
> I kindly request to review following bah script:
>
> http://www.uni-x.org/keychain.sh.txt
>
> I plan to let the keychain rpm place keychain.{sh,csh} - csh needs to be
> done (help would be welcome as I am a bash user) - into /etc/profile.d/.
> It will then create a ~/.keychainrc file if none exists already. The
> user is able to adjust keychain behaviour through that file then.
>
> Any kind of critics and of course corrections are welcome.

This is quite a complicated script to maintain in two different formats,
particularly since it's sourcing a sh-format ~/.keychainrc file. Would
it not be possible to put this in a helper script in /usr/bin (or
wherever's convenient) and then call it from
/etc/profile.d/keychain.{sh,csh}, thus making those two scripts much
smaller and possibly even identical? I don't see any environment
variables being exported, so is it really necessary to "source" all this
stuff?

Paul.