Request for Review: xmlstartlet

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 09:27:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:13:41AM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 18:17 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Note that Ville Skyttä is pushing gdome2 to target xsh. In my opionion
> > xsh and xmlstartlet are competing, both are wrappers around libxml2 to
> > provide XML oriented scripting. I honnestly don't know which one might
> > be better or more complete.
>
> Ah, I wasn't aware of xmlstartlet, need to take a look at it sometime.
> If it makes it into Extras or libxml2/libxslt sooner than xsh, and
> provides the same or "better" functionality, I could imagine dropping
> pushing xsh.

  I think there is room for both. Actually if you could help do the spec/rpm
review of xmlstarlet that would be nice you seems to be more aware than me
of the Fedora Extras set of rules, thanks :-)

> But I'm sure gdome2 will come in handy for other apps besides xsh.

  yes, I'm kind of surprized actually by the number of libxml2 and libxslt
related add-ons I have seen proposed in the last 2 weeks.

Daniel