http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 14 16:33:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:57:15AM -0400, Eric R. Meyers wrote:
> One of the first things that Seth Vidal said to me was "focus groups based
> around what people want to do."  And that's what we are going to do in
> fedora-extras.

Check out my recent post in another branch of this thread....
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-July/msg00740.html>
I think Seth means "purpose B":

  B) a way to define sets of programs useful for a particular
     environment or task

Where "what people want to do" is "what people want to do with their
computers, not caring about the details of package management blah blah
blah".

> What do people want to do?  How about, "they want to use yum to download
> stuff."  So, the paradigm is to support yum functionality,  as many ways
> (views) as possible.

Whereas this interpretation is "what people want to do when they're lookin'
for packages" --  more closely aligned with

  A) a way to put similar programs in the same place so they're
     easy to find by browsing

> So here are the major views:
[reformatted long lines a bit...]
>    1. Alphabetical grouping (I want to look at all packages that start
>       with 'a')
>    2. Typal grouping (I want a small web-server)(or small
>       web-server-accessory)
>    3. Logical grouping (I want to install a suite of packages for ...)

In other words, your 2 = my A and your 3 = my B. :)

Debian calls the "logical groupings" Tasks, and in Anaconda, they're
Components. (In both cases, kind of fuzzily bleeding into the "typal
grouping" sometimes.) I think Component is a actually a really great term
for this -- you build a system by taking the parts you need for your purpose
and put 'em together.