http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 14 18:26:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 02:03:16PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Adding a tag or modifying the use of the tag is tricky.

Agreed in general. I don't think that this particular modification would be
that far reaching, given that it's mostly not used these days and given that
it is an arbitrary-text field. It wouldn't be an rpm-level change, just a
spec file creation policy one. Mixing RPMs between distros already doesn't
work for a variety of more sigificant reasons.

I think the worst case would be that any application which look at
"Applications/Internet" and "Applications/Archiving", etc. and construct an
"Applications" hierarchy -- when such an app sees "Web Browser; X11; Typical
Desktop; Internet Terminal", it's probably going to create a lot of ugly
top-level entries.

> yum and rpm are not just fedora things so modifications from here to
> things have to do with the spec and hence the rpm is tricky.

But Fedora RPMs are (basically) Fedora things, yeah?

> so for simplicity sake - stick with an external file.

How many external files, though? One per repository? One per component? One
per rpm (gah!)?