Request for review: libgeotiff

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jul 18 05:01:14 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 17:05 -0700, Shawn McCann wrote:
> OK, found a Makefile patch for this problem on newrpms.sunsite.dk (thanks
> to Rudolf Kastl) and have included it in the revised spec file. Both RPM
> packages install successfully now.
>
> Regarding the second comment, not sure why you think those files are not
> being included in the RPMS.
>
> /usr/share/epsg_csv is included under %files
>    %{_datadir}/epsg_csv/*.csv
>
> /usr/include/geotiff is included under %files devel
>    %{_includedir}/geotiff/*.h

The directories %{_datadir}/epsg_csv %{_includedir}/geotiff are
unowned.

You probably want to use
%{_datadir}/epsg_csv
%{_includedir}/geotiff

> > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:20:26 -0700 (PDT), Shawn McCann wrote:
> >
> >> Ralf,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the file to address all your
> >> comments and posted the new version.
> >>
> >> SPEC: http://www.canasoft.ca/fedora/libgeotiff.spec
> >> SRPM: http://www.canasoft.ca/fedora/libgeotiff-1.2.2-1.src.rpm
> >>
> >> However, I'm having one problem now. The base package includes two
> >> executables that link to libgeotiff.so (which is why I had libgeotiff.so
> >> in the base package and included it in the Provides: directive). Now
> >> that
> >> I've moved libgeotiff.so back to the devel package, the base package
> >> won't
> >> install as it can't find libgeotiff.so. Any advice on how to deal with
> >> this?
> >
> > That's upstream sloppiness -- a bug. Library has no SONAME. It ought
> > to be patched to get the name "libgeotiff.so.1". Then the executables
> > will link against and depend on the proper SONAME.
The patch sets SONAME to libgeotiff.so.1.2.2, i.e. binaries are being
dynamically linked against libgeotiff.so.1.2.2:

ldd /usr/bin/geotifcp
        libgeotiff.so.1.2.2 => /usr/lib/libgeotiff.so.1.2.2 (0x007ce000)

The SONAME should better be libgeotiff.so.1

> > You also want to include the following directories in the binary packages:
> >
> >   /usr/include/geotiff/
> >   /usr/share/epsg_csv/
Exactly. This is not yet fixed yet.

> > Some of Ralf's findings are not fixed yet.
The bogus Provides: line is still present.

I am proposing the patch to libgeotiff.spec and to the Makefile, below.

An issue I haven't looked into: libgeotiff.so.1.2.2 contains references
to other libraries (e.g. libtiff). So it could be reasonable to let the
*-devel package require further *-devel packages (e.g. libtiff-devel).

Ralf