Request for review / approval: frotz.

Chris Grau chris at chrisgrau.com
Tue Jul 19 14:11:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:24:25AM -0700, Chris Grau wrote:
> This is my first attempt at submitting a package to Fedora Extras.  I
> hope I'm going about it the right way.
>
> Name: frotz

>   Frotz is an interpreter for Infocom games and other Z-machine games.
>   It complies with standard 1.0 of Graham Nelson's specification.
>
> http://www.chrisgrau.com/packages/frotz/frotz.spec
> http://www.chrisgrau.com/packages/frotz/frotz-2.43-1.src.rpm

Just a quick ping to see if anyone is interested in this package.  I
know it's just a game interpreter, so it probably has a low priority
with most people.  However, I realized that I did not include enough
information to try out this package for people unfamiliar with it.

To that end, I've added a pointer in the %description to the canonical
interactive fiction web site to get more information and download free
game files.

Here are the updated files:

  http://www.chrisgrau.com/packages/frotz/frotz.spec
  http://www.chrisgrau.com/packages/frotz/frotz-2.43-2.fc4.cdg.src.rpm

To make testing easier, I'm providing a short list of some games that I
(and others in general) rather enjoyed.

The Dreamhold, a tutorial adventure by Andrew Plotkin.

  http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/dreamhold.z8

Anchorhead: an Interactive Tale of Lovecraftian Horror, by Michael S.
Gentry

  http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/anchor.z8

Curses, An Interactive Diversion by Graham Nelson

  http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/curses.z5

Risorgimento Represso, an Interactive Invigoration

  http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/risorg.z8

Also, if I understand the protocol correctly, I think I need to ask
(beg?) for a sponsor as well.

Thanks.

-chris