clamd handicraft work

Nathan Grennan fedora-extras-list at cygnusx-1.org
Tue Jul 19 21:47:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 10:58 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Are you totally missing the point?  The clamav-(something) packages are
> only instances of service script files to provide a service for a
> specific user of clamd.

  My problem with the current packages is that it is incomplete and
designed around the idea of requiring manual setup. Otherwise, though
they aren't the way I would have done it, it is good enough.

  I see two ways to improve the clamav-server package once some
clamav-(package) packages are recreated.

  One, remove all references to manually setting it services. With the
idea that people migrating will look at the package in it's current
state and may not realize there are other packages, then assume they
have to manually set it up.

  Two, add additional text informing users of the other packages, but
leave the manually setup files and information in. This is a compromise
that is sort of best of both worlds. I am still not sure I like this
method in that it encourages manual setup of a new service using clamav
instead of creating a new package.

  On the other hand probably not everyone sees it the way I do and may
want to take the path of least resistance. Instead of creating their own
package or waiting for someone else to do it for them.