Re-Request for review: pytz and python-dateutil

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Fri Jul 22 16:20:47 UTC 2005

Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Never got a review last time, trying again:
>
> I'm attempting to shift my python-matplotlib package to use upstream
> versions of pytz and dateutil.  It bundles a version of each with it,
> but will not install if already present.  So, it seems best to provide
> official versions of pytz and python-dateutil and have python-matplotlib
> require these to be present at build.
>
> So:
>
> pytz - World Timezone Definitions for Python
> Author:       Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
> Introduction
>
> pytz brings the Olson tz database into Python. This library allows
> accurate and cross platform timezone calculations using Python 2.3 or
> higher. It also solves the issue of ambiguous times at the end of
> daylight savings, which you can read more about in the Python Library
> Reference (datetime.tzinfo).
>
> Amost all (over 540) of the Olson timezones are supported [*].
>
> http://pytz.sourceforge.net/
>
> Package at:
>
> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/pytz.spec
> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/pytz-2005i-1.src.rpm

  I am doing a more formal review but before proceeding I noticed that you
have:

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
%{__python} setup.py install -O1 --skip-build --root $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
chmod +x $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitelib}/pytz/*.py

  My problem is that you have defined the package as noarch and then you are
passing -O1 to the install script, thus passing .pyo files.

  I don't think these goals match. :-)

> python-dateutil:

> The dateutil module provides powerful extensions to the standard
> datetime module, available in Python 2.3+.
>
> https://moin.conectiva.com.br/DateUtil
>
> Package at:
>
> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/python-dateutil.spec
> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/fedora/python-dateutil-0.9-1.src.rpm

  Notice that 1.0 is already released. Not that I think that the spec file
depends on it. :-)

--
José Abílio