libcdio/libcddb (was: Re: Fedora Extras 4 Package Build Report)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jul 28 12:13:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 13:01 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:20:52 +0200, dragoran wrote:
>
> > libcddb and libcdio are still broken (don't let me install vcdimager
> > from livna or freshrpms):
> >  Processing Dependency: libcdio.so.5()(64bit) for package: vcdimager
>
> What makes you think it should be fixed already?
> The fix is still not complete, and that is a known thing.
>
> Btw, vcdimager at livna/freshrpms would need to be rebuilt, too,
> unless somebody provides a compatability-package there, e.g.
> libcdio0-1.0.2...

Well, what actually has happened raises much more general questions.

What has happened: A major update of a package in FE has broken
compatibility (SONAME change).

As far as Livna is concerned, rebuilding all affected packages at livna
will close this issue locally for Livna, but ... FE has broken its API
and will have broken other packages elsewhere.

The question now is:
Is FE supposed to provide a fixed API, and therefore to provide
compatibility packages in general? It's basically the same problem FC
circumvents by occasionally not adopting major updates (Consider Gnome,
KDE, GCC, Libc) or by providing compatibility packages.

IMO, the only fair and correct policy would be FE to providing
compatibility packages.

Ralf