Request for review/approval: libetpan (new dependency for sylpheed-claws)

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Jul 31 14:23:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:44:17 +0200, Andreas Bierfert wrote:

> libetpan-0.38:
> A portable, efficient middleware for different kinds of mail access
>
> http://fedora.lowlatency.de/review/libetpan.spec
> http://fedora.lowlatency.de/review/libetpan-0.38-1.src.rpm
>
> The purpose of this mail library is to provide a portable, efficient middleware
> for different kinds of mail access. When using the drivers interface, the
> interface is the same for all kinds of mail access, remote and local mailboxes.
>
> As this is needed for sylpheed-claws 1.9.13 I would like to get this included asap.

First brief look: Package is broken. libetpan.so.3.0.0 is not executable
and hence not stripped, find_requires ignored it (see rpm -qpR
libetpan-0.38-1.i386.rpm) and didn't create any dependencies, and
debuginfo package is useless.

> BuildRequires:  compat-db

Highly doubtful, since it is no package suitable for developing. Also:

  checking db.h usability... no
  checking db.h presence... no
  checking for db.h... no

With BR db4-devel you would get:

  checking db.h usability... yes
  checking db.h presence... yes
  checking for db.h... yes
  checking version of Berkeley DB... version 3.x or above
  [...]
  checking for db_create() in -ldb... found

> configure: WARNING: GnuTLS support disabled.

We do have gnutls-devel, so this should be examined. There's a switch
in the configure script (default value: auto) where you should disable
GnuTLS explicitly if the support is not desired.

> libetpan-config script in libetpan-devel package

$ libetpan-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -letpan -pthread -lssl -lcrypto -lsasl2

This creates a dependency on openssl-devel and cyrus-sasl-devel.
Suggest adding them.

Package summary without leading "A" is commonly considered better
taste. Summary: Portable, efficient middleware for different kinds of mail access

There's various libetpan API documentation in the "doc" sub-directory.