CVSROOT modules,1.4108,1.4109 (fwd)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 08:26:44 UTC 2005

Andreas Thienemann wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Warren Togami wrote:
>

>>http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/ddrescue/?root=extras
>>ddrescue has been in Extras for years now, you have imported a duplicate
>>a copy.  I have no idea why the package is named ddrescue instead of
>>dd_rescue though.
>
> Simple. PackagingNaming Guide says:
>
> When naming packages for Fedora, the maintainer should use the dash '-' as
> the delimiter for name parts. The maintainer should NOT use an underscore
> '_', a plus '+', or a period '.' as a delimiter.
>
> _BUT_
>
> packages where the upstream name naturally contains an underscore are
> excluded from this.
>

> As the upstream names his package dd_rescue, it should track the upstream
> name.
> Thus the former name was actually wrong. Just because debian does use it
> doesn't mean we should too. We are not using underscores as version
> delimiters.
>
> but what is the right way of renaming a package then? to the best of my
> knowledge cvs doesn't offer that functionality?

Upstream confuses the issue with their confusing naming calling it
dd_rescue in some places but ddrescue in others.  It seems to me that we
should keep the existing package as-is in this case, because the package
has been named ddrescue for years, and the binary is too named ddrescue.

The guidelines exist for consistency going into the future, but it is
too pedantic to force apply it to all existing packages.  Just maintain
the existing ddrescue package please.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com