Request for review: pygsl

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Fri Jul 1 11:48:25 UTC 2005

Hi,
  this is my first message here. I have been (GNU/)Linux exclusively for the
last 9 years, after Slackware I have changed to Red Hat Linux 5.0 and from
there I have updated the system to the latest Fedora. :-)

  I'm doing a PhD on econophysics (applying techniques from statistical
physical to the study of financial time series) and I have contributed
before to several free software projects, being the most import LyX where I
am one of the core developers.

  Due to my work I have been interested and I have packaged for local
consuption several scientific packages related with python and R.

  I have done all the process to become an FE packager.

  As a first step I propose for inclusion in FE pygsl.

http://www.fc.up.pt/pessoas/jamatos/pygsl.spec
http://www.fc.up.pt/pessoas/jamatos/pygsl-0.3.2-1.src.rpm

  Possible problem for this package:

  -Name: It already has py in its name is it necessary to change it to
python-pygsl?

  -License: Although the project is GPL (it is clearly placed in the
sources) there isn't no license in the source package.

  -FC3: This version of pygsl does not compile in FC3 since it links to
wavelets that are only present in gsl 1.6. Also the previous version 0.3.1
doesn't compile in FC4.

  I have compile this using mock in i386 and x86_64 architecture without
problems, the only complain of rpmlint is that:

  - there is no binary
  - several example files are not non executable scripts

  I think that these are harmless...

--
José Abílio