[Fwd: Prep Error: gcfilms-5_2-1 on development]

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Jul 1 12:06:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:10:00 +0200 (CEST), Christian Jodar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got this error after having requested build of GCfilms 5.2 on devel:

> Object:   Prep Error: gcfilms-5_2-1 on development
> From:      buildsys at fedoraproject.org
> Date:    Ven 1 juillet 2005 2:25
> To:       Tian at fedora.redhat.com
>
> could not find path /var/tmp/gcfilms-5_2-1h9-Gn7/rpms/gcfilms/devel for
> gcfilms-5_2-1.
>

> Any idea about the reasons for this problem?

No, looks a bit like a cvs checkout path from the buildsys.

> Does the build system use CVS tags?

Yes, of course. That's what you see in the "tobuild" file, where you
add tags with "make build".

> I was not able to tag the devel branch
> with the same one as for the FC-4 branch (which is a normal CVS behaviour).
> But I requested to build the same version as the FC-4 version (5.2.1). Could
> it explain the error? If it is the case, does this mean we can't deliver
> same versions on devel and FC-4?

Right. That's why you may need to add %{?dist} to your spec, as
a) that makes "make tag" create a different tag for every branch,
and b) makes the binary rpms also get a different release tag, so
they upgrade eachother fine. You cannot have the same version-release
for multiple distributions and arch-specific and dist-specific rpms,
because that would violate the upgrade path.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux 2.6.11-1.35_FC3