Request for review: perl-Number-Compare

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 1 12:39:22 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:32:00 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>

>>- I'd put %check after %install rather than after %clean, so that builds
>>on rpm versions not supporting %check could still work.
>

> Does order of spec sections matter? (I don't think so)

Current rpm versions run the %check scriptlet after %install, if %check
is present.

Older rpm versions don't understand %check, and will barf when they come
across it.

The standard idiom for working around this is to use:

%check || :

This causes old versions of rpm to ignore the fact that they don't
understand %check and carry on whatever they were doing, which will be
running the scriptlet immediately before %check. So if you want old
versions of rpm to behave like new ones, you use this order:

%install
%check || :

If instead you have:

%install
%clean
%check || :

then old versions of rpm will run the %check scriptlet at the end of the
%clean scriptlet, i.e. just after everything has been deleted. Not a
good idea.

Paul.