Request for review: perl-Number-Compare

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 1 12:56:35 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:39:22 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>>Does order of spec sections matter? (I don't think so)
>>
>>Current rpm versions run the %check scriptlet after %install, if %check
>>is present.
>

> Regardless of where I put %check inside the spec? I can move the %files
> section at the top of the spec. Could I do the same with %check or
> %clean? ;)

Try rearranging them and see.

>>Older rpm versions don't understand %check, and will barf when they come
>>across it.
>

> That was not the questions.
>

>>If instead you have:
>>
>>%install
>>%clean
>>%check || :
>>
>>then old versions of rpm
>

> How old?

rpm 4.0.something I think. Well before the dawn of Fedora. So for a spec
file tailored for Extras, none of this matters. However, it's perfectly
possible to write spec files that will build just fine on really old Red
Hat Linuxes, and still meet Extras packaging guidelines. Obviously most
people won't want to bother with that, and that's OK, but if they're not
bothered about backwards compatibility, there's no need for the "|| :"
after %check - and that's all my original comment was about in the review.

Paul.