[Fwd: Prep Error: gcfilms-5_2-1 on development]

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Jul 1 17:55:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 19:12:20 +0200, Christian Jodar wrote:

> Thanks for your answers.
>
> > Right. That's why you may need to add %{?dist} to your spec, as
> > a) that makes "make tag" create a different tag for every branch,
> > and b) makes the binary rpms also get a different release tag, so
> > they upgrade eachother fine. You cannot have the same version-release
> > for multiple distributions and arch-specific and dist-specific rpms,
> > because that would violate the upgrade path.
>
> OK. I added the dist tag on devel version. I tagged it and requested a build.
>
> For the FC-4 branch, I already delivered versions without the dist tag. Won't
> there be any problem if I use it from now?

Currently:

FC4: gcfilms-5.2-1
FC5: gcfilms-5.2-1.fc5

No problem there. All you must ensure is that version-release of a package
for older distributions is _lower than_ version-release of the package for
newer distributions. This is given for gcfilms.

  5.2-1 < 5.2-1.fc5

How you achieve it for future updates is up to you. For some packages, it
makes sense to use %{?dist}. For others, increasing %release is
sufficiently fine.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux 2.6.11-1.35_FC3