Request for Review: libevent

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jul 2 04:18:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 02:58 +0100, José Pedro Oliveira wrote:
> Ralf,

> >>Really? Call me paranoid, but I'd rather leave that out.
> >
> > I am not a configure guru, the help mentioned that it speeds up
> > one-time builds (which rpm does).
>
> I also vote for dropping "--disable-dependency-tracking" from the
> configure line.

All --disable-dependency-tracking does is switch of automake's internal
file dependency tracking inside of automake-generated makefiles and
thereby speed up builds [1].

As dependency tracking is a developer feature being used during
development and should be irrelevant during packaging, it normally is
safe to switch if off during "production builts" on a buildsystem for
the sake of building speed.

So, whether to use or not on FE "production builts", basically is a
matter of personal taste, complexity of a package and available hardware
resources.

I for one, recommend using --disable-dependency-tracking for "production
builts" if it gives a measurable/significant speedup [2]. Using it on
trivial packages is more or less pointless.

Ralf

[1] The speed up can reach several magnitudes.
[2] I know about large/complex packages, where the influence of
--disable-dependency-tracking results into several dozens of minutes
speed up.