ddrescue and dd_rescue

Christian.Iseli at licr.org Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Sun Jul 3 23:14:57 UTC 2005

andreas at bawue.net said:
> I could do that as well...
> But I prefer single packages.

In principle, I agree, but...

> Furthermore: What to name the package? dd_rescue? ddrescue?

dd_?rescue of course ;-)  just kidding.  I don't know...

> And why is  ddrescue included in dd_rescue or vice versa?

I was just thinking of Joe User with a hosed disk.  He goes to FE and tries to
find a package to help the situation: there are two with almost the same name
and the same purpose.  Argh.

So he does what you just did: test them.  And basicaly finds out what you
found out already: they are both useful in their own way.

I still think a single package, along with explanations in the package
description, is the least confusing.

But I admit I can't help with the name.  Maybe just use history: which one was
first ?

Cheers,
					Christian