Request for Review: binutils-mipsel

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jul 5 05:49:21 UTC 2005

dwmw2 at infradead.org (David Woodhouse) writes:

>> Yes, it's binutils for little-endian MIPS processors. This is the
>> first package in the mipsel toolchain.
>
> Can we not have binutils-multi instead?

ACK; but this will be only possible for a subset of binutils (objdump,
nm, ...) which can be build with '--enable-targets=all'. To reduce
maintainance there should be some support from Fedora Core, e.g.
handling objdump et.al. through 'alternative': normal binutils are built
for actual architecture only and Fedora Extras can provide an
alternative 'cross-binutils' package which ships binaries for
cross-tools. User can switch with 'alternatives --set binutils ...'
betwen both variants.

The assembler 'as' and linker 'ld' have to be built for every
architecture (perhaps 10-15 interesting ones) separately. It will create
lot of overhead both in size and maintenance when there will be used one
src.rpm file per architecture.

So it would be the best when there is one src.rpm which creates the
mentioned programs per architecture. There are two options: it
creates a huge 'cross-as' package which contains the assembler for
10-15 architecture, or it creates 10-15 small packages which handle
one architecture per package.

First option is easy to implement, but I would have to install 9-14
unwanted programs when I want one architecture only. Second option
requires some rpm-magic (buildsystem forbids '--define'), but it is
doable.

Enrico