Can anyone explain this?

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Tue Jul 5 21:14:50 UTC 2005

I successfully compiled cln on development yesterday, and today tried
GiNaC, which has cln as a dependency. No problems on i386 and PPC, but
on x86_64, it fails. Looking at the log, it gets through configure OK,
and then fails on the first file that is compiled with something like this:

 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -m64 -mtune=nocona -MT add.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/add.Tpo -c
add.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/add.o
/usr/include/cln/number.h: In constructor 'cln::cl_number::cl_number()':
/usr/include/cln/number.h:187: error: 'cl_FN_tag' was not declared in
this scope
(long list of similar errors follows).

So, looking at /usr/include/cln/number.h in the cln-devel package, it is
indeed identical for the i386 and x86_64 versions of the package as it
should be. So why is this failing on x86_64? Could the build system have
anything to do with this (doesn't seem likely), is there a problem with
g++ that is specific to x86_64, or is there something else going on that
I didn't think of?

-Quentin