Can anyone explain this?

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Jul 6 07:22:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:14:50 -0500, Quentin Spencer wrote:

> I successfully compiled cln on development yesterday, and today tried
> GiNaC, which has cln as a dependency. No problems on i386 and PPC, but
> on x86_64, it fails. Looking at the log, it gets through configure OK,
> and then fails on the first file that is compiled with something like this:
>
>  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -fexceptions -m64 -mtune=nocona -MT add.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/add.Tpo -c
> add.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/add.o
> /usr/include/cln/number.h: In constructor 'cln::cl_number::cl_number()':
> /usr/include/cln/number.h:187: error: 'cl_FN_tag' was not declared in
> this scope
> (long list of similar errors follows).
>
> So, looking at /usr/include/cln/number.h in the cln-devel package, it is
> indeed identical for the i386 and x86_64 versions of the package as it
> should be. So why is this failing on x86_64? Could the build system have
> anything to do with this (doesn't seem likely), is there a problem with
> g++ that is specific to x86_64, or is there something else going on that
> I didn't think of?

Well, this would best be examined on an x86_64 system running Rawhide,
so you could take a look at the preprocessed input and see whether all
the #defines do well. In particular those that depend on type sizes.
cln/object.h defines cl_FN_tag, and in number.h it is used much
earlier (line 31) than line 187 where the compiler complains about it.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 5 (Development) - Linux 2.6.12-1.1413_FC5