More build problems on x86_64

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Wed Jul 6 14:20:17 UTC 2005

I'm getting the following error building octave on x86_64:

g++ -c  -fPIC -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -Wall -W -Wshadow -O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -m64 -mtune=nocona -D_GNU_SOURCE Array-s.cc -o pic/Array-s.o
g++: Internal error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:141815: Warning: partial line at end of file ignored

Originally, this happened on development and I filed a bug report
thinking this was a compiler problem. I got the following response to my
bug:
------- Additional Comments From jakub at redhat.com 2005-07-05 17:27 EST
-------
That means either that you or the kernel killed the compiler.
That does not mean there is a compiler bug.
A compiler bug would be if on reasonably large source the compiler ate
excessive amount of memory and OOM killer killed it.
So the question is: 1) how much physical memory and swap do you have
2) run that command again and watch in top how much memory it is using

After receiving this message, I tried building octave on FC4, and got
the same error on the same source file. The last time I built octave on
FC4 there were no problems. I don't really have any way of further
debugging this. Any ideas what's going on here?

-Quentin