Request for review: ncview

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Wed Jul 6 16:01:56 UTC 2005

Ed Hill wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 19:15 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>

>>> - it conflicts with a different ncview package that I'd
>>>     like to separately submit to extras which actually
>>>     *does* work
>>>

>>The new package doesn't conflict with Ed's other ncview package.
>>

>Hi folks,
>
>In addition to Spot's freshly polished opendap version, I'd like to
>submit this ncview package for review:
>
>  http://mitgcm.org/eh3/fedora_misc/ncview-1.92e-2.src.rpm
>  http://mitgcm.org/eh3/fedora_misc/ncview.spec
>
>It compiles and works for me on FC3 and FC4.
>
>Ncview is a great little interactive utility for creating 1D/2D plots of
>numerical data stored in netCDF files.  It can do animated loops and can
>write output to files which, when combined with simple shell/ImageMagick
>scripts, is a very convenient way to create simple "movies".
>
>Please point out any blockers and I'll fix them ASAP.
>
>thank you,
>Ed

OK, the packages builds and installs fine for me on FC3 (don't have a
FC4 system handy at the moment). The only rpmlint error I got was
something about non-binary stuff in /usr/lib. Investigating further, I
discovered that /usr/lib contains _only_ non-binary files, all of which
look like the sort of thing you might normally put in /usr/share. Was
this the intention of the original author? It also looks like maybe you
were trying to remove some of this with these lines in the spec:
rm -f ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}%{_libdir}/*.ncmap
rm -f ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}%{_libdir}/ncoverlay*

However, these lines don't appear to do anything, as the files are all
located in /usr/lib/ncview/* rather than /usr/lib/*, and the ncoverlay*
files are actually nc_overlay*. If you don't want these in the package,
you could also use %exclude %{_libdir}/ncview* in the %files section.
(Or maybe NCVIEW_LIB_DIR=/dev/null in the makeinstall command? :) )

-Quentin