Request for review: icmpdn

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Thu Jul 7 07:22:16 UTC 2005

Hi Fredrik!

On 07/06/2005 10:44 PM, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
> I've fixed all the initial issues that were pointed out, so I'd
> appreciate if someone would review this package now.
>
> %description
> Since the Linux kernel does not support the ICMP host name facilities as
> described in RFC 1788, I wrote a simple implementation in user-space.
> It comprises three parts:
>
>     * icmpdnd - The ICMP Domain Name daemon, which listens to ICMP
>       domain name requests and replies to them.
>
>     * idnlookup - A user utility to query a host for its host name over
>       ICMP. Like ping and all other utilities that use ICMP, it needs to
>       be installed SUID root.
>
>     * libnss_icmp.so.2 - A glibc NSS module, which uses idnlookup to
>       perform queries for the gethostbyaddr function.
>
> Spec and SRPM:
> <http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/icmp-dn/icmpdn.spec>
> <http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/icmp-dn/icmpdn-0.3-2.src.rpm>

Good:
* package is named according to PackageNamingGuidelines
* spec file name matches %{name}
* License (GPL) is OK, COPYING is included in %doc
* Spec file is in English
* Sources match upstream
* Package compiles and builds on x86 (FC4)
* Package compiles and build with mock (FCdev, x86)
* No need for -devel or -docs subpackage
* %clean section exists
* macro usage is constistent
* package is code, not content
* nothing in %doc affects runtime

Bad:
* license of libs is LGPL, but LGPL license is missing. Download a copy
and included it in %doc.

If you add this, I'm going to approve the package.

 > Also, I'd appreciate if someone would CVS-sponsor it, since I have no
 > such account. Does anyone have a link (to the wiki?) with the proper
 > procedures for maintaining a package in FE?

Do you have requested an account allready? If not, please do so:

https://admin.fedora.redhat.com/accounts/

Someone will then cvs-sponsor you... Not me, as I havn't the right to do
so. However, in the meanwhile I can cvs-import the package for you,
request CVSSync (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/CVSSyncNeeded) for
FC3, FC4 (any other?) and also request a bugzilla entry
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/BugzillaAdmin) - if you want me to
do so. If so, please create a bugzilla account - if you don't have one
yet and let me know the mailaddress you used for register.

Best,
  Oliver