http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Eric R. Meyers ermeyers at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 8 17:32:43 UTC 2005

Gentlemen,

I'm just getting started familiarizing myself with the Fedora-Extras project.
I had a chat with Seth Vidal on #fedora-extras about what I'm presenting
here.

I went to http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/ and saw the
following matter.

RepoView
    * Indexed Packages: 1251
    * Available Architectures: i386, noarch
    * Total groups: 22

First notice,  Indexed Packages: 1251.  Second notice, Total groups: 22.

The RepoView groups are listed here and enumerated:

	___Sidebar___		___Lower___

 1. *   __latest__ 		* Last 30 Packages Updated
 2. * __nogroup__		* Packages not in Groups
 3. * authoring-and-pub...	* Authoring and Publishing
 4. * development-tools	* Development Tools
 5. * editors			* Editors
 6. * engineering-and-s...	* Engineering and Scientific
 7. * ftp-server			* FTP Server
 8. * games			* Games and Entertainment
 9. * gnome-desktop		* GNOME Desktop Environment
10. * graphical-internet	* Graphical Internet
11. * graphics			* Graphics
12. * mail-server			* Mail Server
13. * news-server		* News Server
14. * office				* Office/Productivity
15. * sound-and-video		* Sound and Video
16. * system-tools		* System Tools
17. * text-internet		* Text-based Internet
18. * web-server			* Web Server
19. * xfce-desktop		* XFCE
20. * xfce-software-dev...	* XFCE Software Development

Under category #2 "__nogroup__" or "Packages not in Groups," I found 1031
packages listed.  That is too many, in my oppinion, 1031 of 1251.

Why does it say 22 groups, when only 20 groups are listed?

I'm attempting to assist in remedying these two problems.  And Seth steered me
to the comps.xml file, which has the following list of groups.

 1.  Administration Tools
 2.  Authoring and Publishing
 3.  Base
 4.  Core
 5.  DNS Name Server
 6.  Development Libraries
 7.  Development Tools
 8.  Dialup Networking Support
 9.  Editors
10. Engineering and Scientific
11. FTP Server
12. GNOME Desktop Environment
13. GNOME Software Development
14. Games and Entertainment
15. Graphical Internet
16. Graphics
17. KDE (K Desktop Environment)
18. KDE Software Development
19. Legacy Network Server
20. Mail Server
21. MySQL Database
22. Network Servers
23. News Server
24. Office/Productivity
25. PostgreSQL Database
26. Printing Support
27. Ruby
28. Server Configuration Tools
29. Sound and Video
30. System Tools
40. Text-based Internet
41. Web Server
42. Windows File Server
43. X Software Development
44. X Window System
45. XEmacs
46. XFCE
47. XFCE Software Development
48. Desktops
49. Development

This comps.xml based list of groups might take a chunk out of the large number
of unassigned packages.

Eric
--
Eric R. Meyers