http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 13:47:23 UTC 2005

On 7/9/05, Andreas Thienemann <andreas at bawue.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>
> > Then we need groups that are sane. Have you looked at the officially
> > sanctioned list of RPM groups? They are useless.
> I beg to differ.

And I beg to differ with you. I doubt you'll find consensous agreement
on this issue.  The fact right now is no tool in core is using that
tag for anything.  s-c-packages uses comps, anaconda uses comps, yum
uses comps.  I see absolutely NO value in having repodata using the
tag information, in a way that is inconsistent with the tools.  We
find a way to expose and managed the comps "components"

> And I consider it much better then __nogroup__.

And I say coming up with a way for people to manage the comps.xml as
part of CVS operations is even better.

If we are going to use comps.xml in extras then there needs to be a
mechanism by which people can add and remove packages to pre-defined
comps groups easily.

I would go further  and make a "small" group of people the nominal
maintainer of comps.xml and they are tasked with managing the list of
groups and handling  requests for new group definitions.

-jef