http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Sat Jul 9 13:54:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Andreas Thienemann wrote:

> But now apply this to extras, where we do have more than one audio player
> as Sindre pointed out.
>
> Assuming that comps.xml is a good choice for grouping packages, as
> repoview does, works for core, but is failing for extras. It would be more
> sensible to fall back on the specfile Group tag and sort the packages into
> these groups.

specfile Groups are equally useless. Does "Amusements/Graphics" really
sound like the group you'd install, or even look in, to find the world's
best gui X clock to you?[1] But all the other categories available are an
equally poor fit.... That's one reason usual sentiment is that specfile
Groups needs to die....

I think something like comps.xml, but for extras, would be a better fit in
terms of goals of having groups of stuff easily installable with yum
groupinstall and similar.

The catch is figuring out how to group though. Sometimes you can do it by
function (games group would probably be popular) but sometimes function
doesn't make much sense (we probably don't want a windowmanagers group, we
want a group for E + all its little applets, for blackbox + all its little
applets, etc)

later,
chris

[1] Just to pick on a package I maintain - xdaliclock