Request for Review: nethack

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jul 11 15:46:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 11:07 -0400, Luke Macken wrote:

> ...so we are going to have to bug the Falcon's Eye developers every time
> we want a newer version of NetHack ?

No, we ask now, and using our best judgement, make a decision.  I'm
leaning towards Vulture's Eye being the "best" solution right now.

> I'd rather follow NetHack
> development, than some questionable fork.
[...]
> These graphical frontends are all forks

I don't see them being forks of NetHack any more than let's say the
Fedora Core kernel is a fork of Linus' kernel.  With people maintaining
the non-vanilla version and things working, I see no problem with that.

>   I'm not against carrying as many different
> forks/frontends as humanly possibly, but if you want a 'standard'
> nethack game with tty and a graphical frontend, the vanilla version can
> be built with X, qt, or gnome guis as well.

None of which are anywhere close to the isometric 3D versions.  Apples
and oranges, and we could most likely easily have them all.

>   I just not seeing how we
> benefit from restricting Fedora users to install *extremely* unstable
> graphical versions of a text based game.

Where can I read more about this extreme unstability?

This thread already contains suggestions how to make the GUI version
packaging more friendly for the tty fans, and addresses.  And FWIW, I'm
definitely one, I don't personally really care much at all about any of
the the GUIs.  Practically speaking, that means if the vanilla NetHack
enters Extras, the GUI version will need a new maintainer.  While I'd be
happy to let go of it, end users will lose unless someone else steps up.

You seem to have strong opinions about this and I guess you'll pursue
packaging the vanilla one anyway, so: I'd suggest at least taking a look
at the nethack-falconseye specfile, the package is in a pretty good
shape at the moment IIRC.  Also, suggestions how to handle the
inevitable conflicts between the "vanilla" and the GUI one are welcome,
and IMO need to be decided/addressed if and before the two are both in
Extras.