Request for Review: nethack

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 18:56:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 06:46:23PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
| >   I just not seeing how we
| > benefit from restricting Fedora users to install *extremely* unstable
| > graphical versions of a text based game.
|
| Where can I read more about this extreme unstability?

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-July/msg00535.html

The game does not idle very well, and is pretty much unplayable at
1024x768 if you have any sort of desktop panel (i haven't looked into
changing the res of the game, but it could be possible).

| This thread already contains suggestions how to make the GUI version
| packaging more friendly for the tty fans, and addresses.  And FWIW, I'm
| definitely one, I don't personally really care much at all about any of
| the the GUIs.  Practically speaking, that means if the vanilla NetHack
| enters Extras, the GUI version will need a new maintainer.  While I'd be
| happy to let go of it, end users will lose unless someone else steps up.
|
| You seem to have strong opinions about this and I guess you'll pursue
| packaging the vanilla one anyway, so: I'd suggest at least taking a look
| at the nethack-falconseye specfile, the package is in a pretty good
| shape at the moment IIRC.  Also, suggestions how to handle the
| inevitable conflicts between the "vanilla" and the GUI one are welcome,
| and IMO need to be decided/addressed if and before the two are both in
| Extras.

I feel strongly about having an up-to-date version in the tree (mostly
because a bug in 3.4.1 prevented me from ascending in the past).

I guess my argument is that I think we should give users the choice of
any nethack frontend that anyone is willing to package for Extras and
not restrict them to having to install something graphical if they
aren't even going to use it.

luke