Request for Review: nethack

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jul 12 15:56:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 14:56 -0400, Luke Macken wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 06:46:23PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> | >   I just not seeing how we
> | > benefit from restricting Fedora users to install *extremely* unstable
> | > graphical versions of a text based game.
> |
> | Where can I read more about this extreme unstability?
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-July/msg00535.html
>
> The game does not idle very well, and is pretty much unplayable at
> 1024x768 if you have any sort of desktop panel

Yep, I read that message, but it didn't occur to me as extreme
unstability.

>  (i haven't looked into
> changing the res of the game, but it could be possible).

It is, in jtp_opts.txt.  But see below.

> I feel strongly about having an up-to-date version in the tree

Agreed.

>  (mostly
> because a bug in 3.4.1 prevented me from ascending in the past).

Ouch!

> I guess my argument is that I think we should give users the choice of
> any nethack frontend that anyone is willing to package for Extras and
> not restrict them to having to install something graphical if they
> aren't even going to use it.

I took a look at Vulture's Eye, and it's a no go at the moment, as it
introduces new "issues" to the tty version, and apart from the version
upgrade, doesn't help with the other issues people have mentioned in
this thread.

So, I'm starting to agree with you, plus getting the feeling that we
should get the GUI version out of vanilla's way.  The vanilla one should
probably have "Obsoletes: nethack-falconseye <= 1.9.4-6.a".