Request for a sponsor and a review of: pam_abl

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Jul 13 14:05:55 UTC 2005

On 07/13/2005 03:50 PM, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 15:01 +0200, Oliver Falk wrote:
>>Tomas, what do you think, should a package uninstall check for entries
>>in /etc/pam.d/* and remove it?
>>
>>Because if you have configured it and at some time want to remove it, it
>>could happen:
[ ... ]
>  Package uninstall shouldn't mess with /etc/pam.d/* files. (Except of
> package's owned files of course.) Administrator must know that rpm -e
> some_random_pam_module package can disable his system access if he has
> it in system_auth and he must remove it from the system_auth before
> uninstalling.

Sure, a sysadmin should know about that and _I_ do - I just wanted to
post you an example, of course. I just believe that this will - sooner
or later - be a Bugzilla entry. :-/ Messing around with configfiles
using sed, awk, whatever never is a good idea - that's also my meaning
(even if we allready do with eg. /etc/shells for example). But I'm
thinking about 'the not so real and good sysadmins'...

>>And maybe it should also %ghost /var/lib/abl/hosts.db and users.db, so
>>it get's removed properly at uninstall...
>
> This is debatable - the package of a database system shouldn't remove
> your databases created using this system either. However this is a very
> special kind of a database.

OK, then I leave it for the rpm maintainer to decide, if he want's to
remove it or not... I don't mind any way...

Best,
  Oliver