http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Thu Jul 14 15:15:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Eric R. Meyers wrote:

> I don't understand how vim-enhanced is listed as a "default package," nor do I
> understand how joe and vim-X11 show up as "optional packages."

It's merged them in from comps.xml for FC

"editor" for FC is

    <packagelist>
      <packagereq type="optional">joe</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="optional">nedit</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="optional">vim-X11</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">vim-enhanced</packagereq>
    </packagelist>

> Maybe someone from redhat could send me the comps.dtd with some tag
> documentation, because I also don't know the complete meaning of the
> <default> and <uservisible> tags.

uservisible is whether it's an exposed group or not (think all groups that
exist in comps.xml versus groups shown by, say, anaconda). For example, in
FC there's a "core" group that's not exposed that serves as a basis for
the base group that's the smallest exposed grouping....

optional means it's not installed by default even if the group's installed
mandatory means if that group's installed, that package will be installed
default means if that group's installed, that package will be installed
by default, but it can be deselected

So, if you went in your editor group on FC you'd see vim-enhanced selected
to install, but you could deselect it. And you'd see joe, nedit, and
vim-X11 deselected, but you could select them.

later,
chris