http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Thu Jul 14 16:59:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:23:59AM -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > How is tagging functionally different from spec groups (other than
> > allowing more than one tag)? Isn't the spec group just a very coarse tag?
>
> Allowing more than one tag is the fuctional difference. :) Plus, I don't
> think the tags would have an inherent hierarchy.

Okay

> There may also be good reasons to keep these tags completely out of the spec
> files and managed externally a la comps.xml (but I'm not convinced).

I don't see much advantage to having tags in the spec file, and several
disadvantages.

Two big reasons for doing it external:

1. it's not Yet More Crap in the spec file that will rot over time, but
forever more be needed (like the current spec Group)
2. it can be revised as needed, and retrofitted to existing packages,
without rebuilding the world

About the only reason I can think of for doing it in the spec is
simplicity

later,
chris