http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Thu Jul 14 18:44:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> yum groupinstall "Crap for Jef's lan"   works because I have a mangled
> comps.xml file in a local repo and i don't have to rebuild any rpms.
> Or in a more realistic case  a group definition like "Software for
> Physics 403"  sitting in a comps file on a local mirror of a school so
> all students taking that class can groupinstall all the software for
> that class in one pass on a fedora system. Some of it from Core or
> Extras some of it from a local repo. This group definition makes no
> sense inside an rpm spec because the group is situational for the
> school for a limited period of time and not something that needs nor
> should be exposed to all users of all fedora packages.  There is no
> way you can expect the maintainers at build to try to classify all
> possible structures at build time.  But, if we put the editorical
> information about groupings into easily editted comps files... those
> comps definitions can be extended or overwritten locally as the
> situation demands... no need to touch the rpms.

I think Matt is envisioning something a bit different

He's saying have basic tags in the rpm (for example, "Web Browser";
"Internet Application"; "X application"; whatever else... for Firefox)

Once those tags are in the rpms, still do the grouping stuff outside the
rpms via comps or whatever. He's not saying do the actual grouping in the
rpms, just the labeling that's used for the external groupings....

To me though, if the grouping stuff has to live outside the rpm
"somewhere", the tag might as well live with it "somewhere" as well

later,
chris