Request for a sponsor and a review of: pam_abl

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Fri Jul 15 07:31:28 UTC 2005

On 07/15/2005 08:41 AM, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On Thursday 14 July 2005 18:48, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
>>Mandatory dist tags give a false impression of upgrade-path safety.
>
> *shrug*
>
> If they don't need disttags, that means they can move over across a dist
> upgrade which gives a false impression of upgrade-path safety.
>
> In fact, the rest of your points can be readily applied to packages that
> don't need disttags, but float across dist upgrades.
>
> In other words, we're going in circles when it's really unnecessary.
>
> If we're just saving a rebuild by dropping a %{?dist}, I don't really
> see that as a huge plus.  Cause, I don't think CPUs will be going on
> strike any time soon.

Copy that - with a :-)

Let's say, if it's really some (eg game) data, that is not actually
*build*, but only copied to some place, with may makes no sense to add a
dist tag, but I believe in most cases we will need the dist tag.

However, there *are* cases where the dist tag really is not necessary
and in those cases I would not recommend. That's *my* point, OK?

Best,
  Oliver