Request for a sponsor and a review of: pam_abl

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 15 12:41:24 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> An additional question regarding macros:
> -should %{name} be used anywhere else than in BuildRoot and if setup
> must use the "-n" switch in %prep? From reading other .spec files I have
> the impression %{name} isn't used wherever possible.

This is largely a matter of clarity. Since %{name} is the name of the
package, it's hardly likely to change so the value of using the macro is
doubtful. I don't think you'd get too many objections if you used it
elsewhere though.

> - how about using %{__make}, %{__install} or %{__rm}? Is there a general
> guideline about those macros?

This is more a matter of personal preference. I prefer to use them
throughout; others prefer not to use them at all. I believe both
approaches are fine but be consistent throughout a spec file. Either use
the macros everywhere or don't use them at all.

Paul.